My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.coreylukephotoraphy.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Focal Length For Portraits

I've been putting together a presentation on the basics of photography for the past couple of weeks and I decided I could share some of it here.

My wife and I went out looking for leading lines to use as example photographs in my presentation.  We found a wonderful bridge that had outstanding lines, but what I didn't realize until half-way through the shoot is that I was accomplishing a second task at the same time.  Using the correct focal length.  More after the jump.

I have two examples of different focal lengths using the same subject, my beautiful willing wife.  Now these images have had some editing, but they are not "glamour" shots or intended to be judged as "merit" images.  They are for examples only.
First is the image taken at a focal length of 70mm.  And according to the meta, my subject was 1.29 meters from me.  Notice the bokeh, or blurred background, is pretty good but it is a little busy and detracting from the subject. 






Now this second image was taken at a focal length of 200mm. I had to back up to frame the shot exactly as the first.  This time placing my subject 3.41 meters away from me, again verified by the meta-data.  The first thing you'll notice is the bokeh.  Again very smooth, however this time it's much more blurred and less of a detraction. 


If I were take this image again, I would probably move either my subject or myself in order to get the railing from the bridge completely out of frame.  And I also would try to get my subjects head surrounded solely by the orange/yellow bokeh, which would remove the darker patch to the upper left.  At 200mm it doesn't take much maneuvering to accomplish this.

Here is one of the final images from the day that we really liked.


By the way, if you own or are looking to buy a Canon 7D you should check out this book written by my friend and fellow photog Nicole S. Young.



Or if you want to see some outstanding visual stimulation along with an excellent history lesson on one of the United States best highways, then check out this book by another photographer friend Ann Torrence.

No comments: